Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sunny Vancouver morning

The sun highlighted fresh snow 
on the mountains this morning
while downtown Vancouver 
came to life behind the gymnasts
as they spiralled in celebration!

Friday, November 25, 2011

In Vancouver

Well, we made it to Vancouver today, a gorgeous sunny drive except for a section of the Coquihalla south of Merritt. I crept along at 50km/hour until we cleared through the tunnels.

My patient is on a waitlist for his second knee replacement surgery and we hope that he'll stay healthy for our flight to PV on December 4th.

Tomorrow we get to share some fun with our grandson and on Sunday there is a special pre-Xmas turkey dinner/Grey Cup celebration planned at my sister's. The rest of the week, until our departure, we'll rediscover this city where we spent our younger years.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Another delay

More antibiotics and a further delay to departing the land of snow and freezing temperatures. The Doctor noticed that John's left hand was slightly swollen and that his white blood cell count was slightly elevated.
The mystery is never ending. So, we will see the Doctor again next Thursday with the hope that further blood tests are good.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Snow in the forecast

Still hoping to hear about a cancellation this week at the surgeon's office in Vernon. We really want to ensure that John is placed on the waiting list for his next knee replacement before leaving. Our plan is to drive to Vancouver via the Fraser Canyon route, avoiding the Coquihalla heights. Snow is expected tonight and tomorrow around our area and the weather forecast is for continual snow ... sleet ... rain We are more than ready to leave any shovelling behind!

My patient continues to have a painful left knee but we have decided that the sun and warmth of Mexico will ease his discomfort. Whale watching from the balcony and sunny afternoon naps should be therapeutic for both of us.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Jesse Reno workshop

We are still taking one day at a time. My patient is enjoying "wheely-walker" tours of Piccadilly each morning followed by afternoon rests.

Meanwhile, I have decided to think positively about our planned trip to Puerto Vallarta and have agreed to take a five day workshop with Jesse Reno in January. He is an artist who paints in large format without a preconceived plan for the finished product. This could jolt me out of my stagnant doldrums!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

He's home

Home from the hospital and feeling better. Let's hope that my patient can stay healthy this time. He has a wheeley walker to give him confidence and speed on his feet and a big chunk of high density foam on his TV viewing chair to ease him in and out of the seat. What more could he possibly want?!

Antibiotics will continue for a couple more days. Meanwhile I have my fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed with the hope that we are over the hump!

Thank you to all of the wonderful staff at SLGH. Everyone was amazing!!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Plans on hold

Last Thursday was not a good day. My patient was admitted to hospital again with an extremely sore left shoulder and swollen arm and hand. He was unable to remember words and generally confused. Since then he has had ultrasounds, xrays, CT scans and medication adjustments. He was also placed on antibiotics. The good news is that the swelling has reduced and he is completely lucid. There is suspicion of an infection or gout(although he's on allopurinol and his uric acid levels are low) or arthritis. Fortunately they have ruled out blood clots.

So, he stays in the hospital for a couple more days...another scan on his shoulder followed by an echocardiogram. They seem determined to figure out the cause of his problems.

Meanwhile, the realtor contacted us about a house viewing today, nine weeks after the last viewing and nine weeks of accumulated mess! By the time I finished cleaning, vaccuming, washing, wiping on the inside as well as sweeping & raking outside, I was exhausted. I was tempted to check myself into the Holiday Inn tonight to avoid re-cluttering!

Of course our plans are on hold for now. One day at a time!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011


Late yesterday the Doctor recommended a cortisone injection in my patient's left shoulder, but not until after a visit to the lab for a further blood test to determine whether his blood is too thin. Apparently there is a risk of internal bleeding with the injection. The only problem is getting my patient to the lab. His pain level, even with medication, is not making the thought of transit very palpable. So, we will wait until this afternoon and hope for the best.

On the bright side, the sun is shining in a winter sky and the leaves are gorgeous shades of yellow and red.