Monday, September 27, 2010

A swim

Agia Anna beach on a calm day!

I was knocked over and sucked under. 
My exit from the sea had not gone as planned. 
The Marine Biologist who accompanied me on this swim had given me 
careful instructions about how to gracefully walk out of the water.
 "Just wait for the right wave" she had said. 
I watched her as a wave lifted her up onto the pebbly beach. 
It looked so easy! 
Somehow I had chosen the biggest wave to lift me...and the force pushed me right over. 
I tumbled over and under, drinking sea water and losing the top of my bathing suit! 
Her hand finally reached out and pulled me, bare breasted, to safety!

This was the second day that I had climbed down to Agia Anna for a swim. 
Both days the sea was too rough. 
Eva, the Marine Biologist who has spent half of her life in the water, 
assured me that if we walked a little further, we would find a good spot.
Next time I'll wait for calmer water!

1 comment:

  1. glad you're ok and hope the waters treat you more kindly next swim. boy, it'd be nice to be floating there again right now!

    ReplyDelete