Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This is Mexico

John and Jean were both napping. Isabelle and Margarita were sunning. Betto was drilling into a rock wall about 5 feet away from my feet while Jesus chipped away at the mortar around tiles in one of the fountains. The pool was cloudy with experimental new chemicals, rock dust filled my nostrils and drilling assaulted my ears.

Our hosts were visiting the local police headquarters to retrieve a confiscated driver's license after receiving a speeding ticket yesterday. They refused to pay the usual "gift" to the cop!!

They returned, frustrated, and we learned that the ticket cost more than the "gift". Not only that, the office that held the driver's license was closed for the day by the time they got there.

I looked at the blue sky, felt the sun on my skin and thought "This is Mexico!"

No comments:

Post a Comment