Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring

It is the end of March already. I should be recording the wonders of spring, the robin singing outside our bedroom window, the flicker rat-a-tat-tatting on our roof, the snow melting and the buds pushing out of the soil. I have noticed all of these things but my mind has been preoccupied with the news that my sister has ovarian cancer.

The problem is that there is nothing I can do to undo this diagnosis. Despite the Gynecologist's positive observations while he was removing her ovaries and tubes, the pathology report indicated that she has a high grade clear cell carcinoma formed from endometrial tissue. The Oncologist recommended further surgery to remove her uterus, an omentectomy and a para-aortic lymphodenectomy. Whew!!

She has agreed to undergo this major surgery on April 7th, just 1 1/2 years after my youngest sister had both breasts removed following a diagnosis of breast cancer.

The arrival of spring has not brought a feeling of joy this year.

1 comment:

  1. Sending thoughts and prayers from the island for every one of you!

    ReplyDelete