Saturday, September 3, 2011

Wouldn't you know it?!

Yesterday was not easy for my patient. He had spent a restless night on the makeshift bed downstairs, almost rolling onto the floor on a couple of occasions. Forced out of bed and into the back seat of our neighbour's vehicle (a much larger, higher Toyota) for a trip to the lab, both of his knees were screaming!

When we returned, he faced the challenge of climbing our back stairs. Collapsing on the bed, I promised that he wouldn't have to get up again until the morning. More icing, elevating and pampering followed by the awareness of feverish cheeks around 5pm. WTF!

While he napped, I attempted to straighten out the downstairs but couldn't manage to drag the single mattress upstairs. A plea for help resulted in friends dropping over in the evening, carrying the mattress up for me and visiting with us for an hour around the bed. When they left, the fever had disappeared!

Today is better. No fever! Breakfast in the kitchen with my patient and the promise that he'll join me again for afternoon tea. Another loaf of freshly baked banana bread delivered by friends.

Checking emails, I discovered a request for a house viewing on Monday! Wouldn't you know it?! Nothing for weeks and now someone wants to invade our privacy! I explained the situation and said that my patient was in no shape to tackle the stairs in order to vacate the house...but...that we are prepared to sit on the back deck while they look around. No problem apparently!

1 comment:

  1. Time to get up and walk! Hope the patient is doing better! It's a slow process, but what a difference it will be once all is healed.

    ReplyDelete