Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Dublin Lilt



The melodic lilt of her voice brought a smile to my face. Marie was calling from Dublin to check in with us, to share stories and memories. Throughout the years we have communicated by email and blog, attached to a computer screen. It is impossible for typed words to convey the emotion that her voice carried. We talked for an hour, warmed by the length of our friendship.

How can relationships today be sustained by emails and texts? The subtle nuances in a voice are lost. The exchange of typed words releases us from sincerity and reduces our contact to a series of letters. 

I must admit that I have fallen victim to the ease of emails, even with friends living in the same town. My pledge, after Marie's phone call, is to use my voice instead of my typing fingers whenever possible in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment