Sunday, September 9, 2012

Greek lessons


With the start of a new school year, the cost of learning another language through Education Outreach escalated from $0 - $150.00. I decided that if I paid the money, I would be more focused with my daily lessons. So, here I am again, attempting to string together a sentence in GREEK! Refreshing my aging brain cells with repetitions of the alphabet and verb conjugations! In my notebook from 2007,
I discovered this poem that reflects my ongoing struggle with the language.

This language is elusively
leaking through my pores
seeping out of synapses
that continue to disconnect
and open without warning
so that bits and pieces remain
in an abstract version
of an invisible sensibility!

That about sums up my experience, whether trying to learn on the computer or visiting the country. Of course there are a few words that have stuck. I can call a dog to "come here" when necessary and order a kilo of wine with no problem. It would be an advantage to read a menu with confidence! So now there will be daily lessons and reviews on Rosetta Stone until next March when we will step onto Greek soil again and embrace the scent of the Aegean! 

No comments:

Post a Comment