Thursday, October 11, 2012

He who does not do things the way others do!


Sheer determination! That's what it takes to maintain his status as "he who does not do things the way others do"!

My patient kept me busy yesterday, running back and forth to the kitchen for preparations of tea, broth, ginger ale and lemon water. At 12:30pm he consumed the first package of Purg-odol followed by copious amounts of clear fluids. At 7:00pm he drank the second brew of Purg-odol. We waited while he drank more tea, ginger ale and even ate a small bowl of clear jello.

Online research had indicated that the "usual" response time was 1-4 hours. By 11:00pm, after the CBC news, I gave up. It was obvious that my patient was doing his usual routine of "not doing things the way others do". Climbing into bed, I resolved to call the hospital in the morning to cancel his colonoscopy. That was when things started to happen...11 hours after the initial dose!

We were both suffering from sleep deprivation this morning when I delivered him to the hospital. It wouldn't take much sedation to ease him through the procedure. Nurse Ratchet is waiting for the pickup call.

No comments:

Post a Comment