Saturday, August 24, 2013

The dreaded colonoscopy


The phone rang at 7am, waking us. In a stupor I finally understood that the call was from the local hospital. Apparently they had a cancellation for the next day and could schedule my colonoscopy into that time slot. "Don't eat anything today" she said, and take the pico-salax laxative as directed.

I hadn't eaten anything since 7pm the night before and that was just a bowl of cabbage salad! Following directions I drank the first dose of laxative at noon and prepared to wait several hours for it to work. Within half an hour later I was off and on the toilet repeatedly until 6pm when I was directed to drink the second dose which resulted in another three hours of intimate contact with the porcelain bowl.
I was cleansed and ready!!

The next day I didn't have to be at the hospital until 12:30pm, almost 40 hours without food. Once again the hospital called, this time to say that they were running early(who has ever heard that?)...could I come in at 11am. I didn't hesitate. Anything that would bring me closer to consumption of food was great.

John brought me home around 2pm. Tea and toast have never tasted so delicious!

1 comment: