Saturday, November 23, 2013

Main Street


We stopped for coffee on Main Street this morning in the area where I grew up. It was a working class neighbourhood then. Our fathers were blue collar workers and our mothers stayed home to look after the kids. It was challenging to stretch the paycheck from week to week and my mother would often run a tab at the local grocery store until pay day.

The area is full of yuppies now who can afford to buy the old houses for around a million dollars, gut them and renovate. They send their kids to private school (instead of the public school that my mother, my sisters and I attended) and order skinny lattes at the trendy coffee houses that have popped up in the area. I wonder who these people are...the ones with that type of income. It is difficult to imagine that any of our children will ever be able to afford a house in Vancouver.

On a brighter note, I was really glad to have my camera along this morning. We walked along Main, looking in the windows of an eclectic mix of shops and eateries and down one of the back lanes.


These gorgeous old gates were sitting beside the garbage,
hopefully not to be discarded!


The only art exhibited at this gallery is outside on the storage bin!


A unique way of creating glitter and sparkle for a Christmas display!


 This is a window display for a clothing store, not a cake shop!


Left over from Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment