Saturday, March 15, 2014

Artspeak


I am often confused and dismayed by today's descriptions and analyses of artwork in galleries. Despite my adequate knowledge of the English language and aptitude on a scrabble board, my mind refuses to understand what the descriptive text often states!

In the weekend edition of The Vancouver Courier, Geoff Olson echoed my sentiments with the following quote from a copy of ART FORUM:

"This limbo, I argue, constitutes non art. But for this limbo to acquire theoretical consistency, a fourth factor is needed; the explicit denial of all artistic qualities - and I mean denial in a quasi-Freudian sense, that is, an involuntary admission of a truth in the guise of its negation. The word "no" must be uttered, and its true, unacknowledged meaning must be "yes"."

Geoff goes on to say "Either I'm a dimwit or language of this kind is a sophisticated fraud".

I totally agree!!

No comments:

Post a Comment