Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thank you Nick!

I spent most of the day yesterday with an Apple Genius! Wow! What an experience! The first fifteen minutes of my visit to the Apple store were spent with a pleasant young "Apple Expert". He ensured that all of my updates were up to date before lining me up for an appointment with an "Apple Genius". Fifteen minutes later I met Nick, the Genius who spent most of the next five hours tweaking my computer until it ran like new. The entire time that he was solving my computer problems, he was also working on a succession of others, usually three at a time. His people skills were amazing and his problem solving resulted in many smiling faces. To my knowledge he only took a short break to eat a muffin. The cost of his services?.....zero!!

The store was packed with Mac users all day. They came with ipads, iphones, macbooks. Some made purchases, others sought advice and help. The Experts(at least 20 in blue t-shirts) circulated on the floor, greeting each customer and determining the level of assistance required. Each Expert was connected to the overall operation with an ipad, setting up Genius appointments, workshop schedules, explaining equipment, handling purchases and placing orders.

During my visits back and forth to the store during that 5 hour period, I asked Nick what his training was for the important position of "Apple Genius". He looked at me for a second, and replied that he was a pediatrician. "What?" I thought that he was joking but he explained that he got burnt out with 80 hour weeks and wanted a life with social connections. As a result, he worked 40 hours a week as a Genius and was enjoying a full life.

Thank you Nick!!


No comments:

Post a Comment