Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Vancouver Doctor


I visited my Vancouver Doctor today to have a small growth removed from my right breast. He thinks that it is a keratoacanthoma and thought that it should be biopsied.

It is possible that, after 45 years in the medical profession, my Vancouver Doctor is the longest practicing physician in the lower mainland. He has occupied the same space in the same building for the entire 45 years! He refuses to stop because he still enjoys his job! It is impossible for me to view him as too old because we are almost the same age! My first appointment with him was 36 years ago. Now we meet only when I am staying in Vancouver for months and need medical attention.

Mariah, his absolutely crazy receptionist, showed me into a small room with an examination table pushed against the window wall. At the foot of the table was another small table to hold the coffee maker and microwave. She left me with a few words of wisdom "I hope you survive!"

He appeared wearing a face mask (because I am still suffering from a cold) and a weird magnifying glass that wrapped around his head. Behind the glass his eyes peered at me through a pair of eyeglasses creating the illusion of a Hannibal Lecter.

"I have complete faith in you!" I stated bravely. "Well, I have done this before" he replied.

"Are you going to hurt me?" I asked. "Only in order to not hurt you" he retorted.

Aha...a needle! We chatted a bit during his excavation. I was careful to not distract him from the task at hand. He described the shape of the incision and the three stitches that would leave a small scar.

Leaving, I was happy to report to Mariah that I had survived. She might not have heard me between singing along with Shania Twain, one of her favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment