Friday, January 15, 2010

What a way to start the day! A twister in the distance gathering speed and water, intensifying and moving closer. I was ready to board up the windows and doors, prodding John out of bed to help. He sat on the edge of the bed, gazing at the sight, not the slightest bit perturbed! "Hurry" I yelled. "We have to get downstairs and close everything up!" By the time he finished his ablutions in the bathroom, the damned thing had disappeared! You can guess what would happen later with all that water gathered up into storm clouds!

It was our day for a major grocery shopping expedition so we taxied over to Lay's and filled the grocery cart with tons of essentials. Out at the taxi stand, I suffered a memory lapse and confidently loaded the groceries into the trunk of a taxi. It wasn't until we were in motion that I remembered "Never put bags of groceries in the trunk of a taxi". In order to stop in front of Quinta las Pinas, the taxi has to go up a steep hill, turn around and drive back down. Diet 7-up, marmalade and canned tuna ended up almost under the back seat!!! Don't look at the driver to help! He simply handed me the key to the trunk and picked his nose while I climbed in and attempted to reach the "roll-aways". Meanwhile John was braced on the cobblestones, balanced on his walking poles while gripping the back of my shorts as I disappeared, sliding forward on the trunk mat. Fortunately Pacheta came to our rescue, gathering up bags and shooting daggers at the nose-picking driver. Next time I'll put the bags in the back seat beside me!

We arrived home just before the heavy clouds decided to empty. Could it be that jealous folks in Vancouver sent this rain our way?

1 comment:

  1. You're kidding! Amazing. So glad you got a picture of it.

    We had a beautiful sunny day up here today so a touch of trading places, it seems.

    ReplyDelete