Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving dinner

Thanksgiving Sunday started with me in the underground kitchen. First on the agenda was baking a cake but before I could start, I had to find things. Everything had been moved. Baking powder was now purchased in a large plastic bag instead of small 2 tsp. packets. Vanilla was still in powder form in small vials. All of the baking supplies were in a box on the floor, under the counter. The cake tins were hidden in a drawer under the oven, measuring cups were hidden at the back of a shelf. Theo had cleaned the kitchen and stored everything away in preparation  for winter. I didn't even know how to turn on the oven in the new gas stove?!

Miraculously, the cake disappeared into the oven and reappeared 45 minutes later looking beautiful and smelling edible! John's sister had sent me a recipe for a basic cake which I adapted into a chocolate spice cake with sliced apples on top and drizzled it with rum/butter.

Meanwhile the cabbage and the rice were boiling and the potatoes were baked. I scooped the potato out of the skins, mixed it with yogurt, butter and herbs then scooped the mixture back into the skins and topped with grated cheese. There must have been 400 flies in the kitchen so my arms were constantly flicking them away. When the potatoes were ready, I covered the pan with a tea towel.

After peeling away the cabbage leaves and setting the rice in a bowl to cool, we decided to walk up to the windmills. This was the longest walk for John on this trip with the most uphill and downhill!! It was a challenge! His knees welcomed a much needed rest later in the afternoon.


Around 5pm, I headed back to the kitchen to make the stuffing for the cabbage rolls. This time I added ground meat, bacon, apple, raisins and fresh dill. By eight o'clock there were delicious aromas drifting up from the kitchen and everyone was gathered.

Our dinner group included five Greeks, one Swiss, two Italians and two Canadians. While the meal was not a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving dinner, we did give thanks for friendships and for good food.



No comments:

Post a Comment