Saturday, December 31, 2011

Starbucks

I feel as though I should justify my visit to Starbucks this morning for a coffee. It seems as though there are two valid reasons for sitting here. It's halfway between home and the grocery store and they have muffins!!

View from Starbucks

So, I sit here listening to Michael Bubble and gringo Spanglish. Around me, smart phones are busily fingering text messages. Outside, the city starts to come alive. Buses of every colour pass by, all headed to the same destinations. Beads and rosaries twist and sway above the drivers' heads. Joggers, passing each other along the Malecon, are connected to heart monitors and inspirational music. They are oblivious to the crashing waves and soaring pelicans. Auld Lang Syne fills the air. A bearded, pink skinned new arrival sings along. Cathedral bells announce 9am on the last day of 2011. Time to finish my quest for groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment