Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Page in the Sun (Una Pagina en el Sol)

Other than the dishwasher, I am the only woman in this place. It is the morning coffee gathering cafe for gay francophones, most of them are well beyond their "best before date". Even their laughter holds a hint of quebecois as they share stories.

I sit inside and look out at them as they sit clustered around small cafe tables on the sidewalk. Beside me, a forty foot length of wall is lined with used pocket novels for sale at special prices. The books are stacked in alphabetical order by authors' names on seven layers of shelving.


Small cafe style tables are scattered inside, mixed with an odd assortment of easy chairs and couches. There are more books piled at the back, waiting to be shelved.

I enjoy a small Americano and a banana-chocolate chip muffin for 36 pesos($2.70) with the hope that it will energize me for the steep uphill hike back to the Quinta! By the time I am ready to leave at 9:30am, the entire outdoor section is empty. They have all headed for their favourite spots at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment