Thursday, September 8, 2022

Only three more sleeps

 


Only three more sleeps until I fly to Greece. This will be the 16th time that I have visited this magical country. The first time was in 1973 when we travelled hippie style in a VW van. Next visit was in 1995 with a 13 year old son along as we toured the Pelopponese, Naxos, Santorini, Paros and Syros. During that trip we met Anna who encouraged us to visit "her island of Amorgos". So, in 2000, we finally set foot on Amorgos and have returned thirteen times since then. Our visits have ranged in length from one month to seven months. During the longest visit we managed our friend's cafe bar over the winter months. Ferries have taken us to explore thirty other islands and many special friendships have been forged over the years.

The difference is that this will be my first solo trip. I will be taking some of John's ashes for our Greek family to scatter in the Aegean. Traveling solo is not without some level of anxiety precipitated by the absence of John, Covid, airline problems and aging issues that could impact travel. This is probably my final trip to this Aegean island that has become our second home.

In Athens I will stay in the same hotel that we have used many times and the small apartment on the island is cozy and familiar. I look forward to sharing coffees, meals and stories with special friends.

The blog will be updated regularly on my iPad during this adventure (unless technology refuses to cooperate) and I invite you to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment