Sunday, October 5, 2014

From Yiannis to a wedding



Yiannis has been striking a "Cleopatra" pose at Jazzmin ever since he hurt his back. He spends the mornings with an iPhone, a frappe and cigarettes!!

After a refreshing swim at noon I wandered through the village to a small Cafe for a coffee with my drawing book. The sign said that they were closed because of a wedding.


Since the chairs were still outside, I settled down to draw the little church that sits on their property. Within minutes I heard music approaching! It was the wedding procession being led by a duet of guitar and violin. The daughter of the Cafe owners was the bride!!


The procession wandered the pathways of Chora, finally ending at the church in Loza (main square). I sat on a bench, listening to the priest singing his incantations while the wedding ceremony was being conducted. Gradually the entire village drifted into the church and the square. When I left 45 minutes later they were still in the church!!

Wedding guests were dressed in everything from shorts and pants to sequinned gowns. Unfortunately for the bride there was an absolutely gorgeous woman enroute to the wedding as I left. I could imagine that all eyes would be on Suvi, a visitor to the island from Bangalore. She was dressed in a rainbow of sari colours!!...the poor bride!!!

Theo's mother cooked a dinner of briam (veggies) and salad. Fifteen of us gathered to enjoy this simple meal prepared with organic veggies from Nando's farm.


Afterwards we drifted up the pathway toward the wedding celebration where live music kept guests entertained. Every song was accompanied by dancers.


I don't know how many of you will be able to view this short video.
Please let me know if you can.

It was a wonderful way to end the day!






1 comment: