Monday, November 3, 2014

Knitting lessons


Can you imagine harvesting olives for two weeks...250kg of olives to yield 30 litres of oil!! The olives on Amorgos are quite small, not enough rainfall or moisture to plump them.


Last night there were over 20 of us gathered around tables for dinner.
It was Thanos' birthday and he prepared the meal of roasted pork, 
risotto, fava and salad. Mata made a birthday dessert. Delicious!!


This morning I helped Suvi with her first knitting project, a scarf for her niece.
Of course she didn't leave the island this morning. It is very difficult to sail away.
"It doesn't matter what you do as long as you "knit" after the bump"!!

I decided to start a new pair of socks but haven't been able to find needles. There is a creative shop in Chora that sells gorgeous yarns but no sock needles so I visited the "old lady" clothing store in Katapola. Unfortunately, the owner was away and her husband was minding the shop. We both explored the depths of the shelves with him continually showing me a variety of regular needles and me continually demonstrating that I needed four short needles. In frustration he would periodically take me to the yarn bin. Maybe I really just wanted yarn?? Obviously the yarn had been sitting in the bin for 5-50 years! So, I will help Suvi with her project and forget about knitting socks!


No comments:

Post a Comment