Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Greek lesson number two

Greek lesson number two with Malpo this morning. I managed to memorize the present tense conjugation of the verb "to be" and also the pronouns and possessive pronouns! Whew!! With my limited vocabulary I could even make short sentences using some of these words...and read them...and write them! It wasn't my intention to accomplish the reading & writing parts...just the spoken words but I find it interesting to be able to read a different alphabet...even if I don't understand everything that I am reading.

Today's lesson focused on "articles" - both definite and indefinite, singular & plural, male & female & neutral. In other words uninteresting parts of the vocabulary that require rote memorization , something that I am not interested in at all! Somehow I have to find a way to make this fun! So, I checked out the bookshelves at Jazzmin Cafe and found a Greek version of Peter Pan, a children's book that I have borrowed for a few days. It seems obvious to me that in order to use the appropriate article, you have to know the noun first ...so, this requires an expanded vocabulary...YES??

The wind continues to howl but there are periods of sun so today seems better. We walked in Katapola this afternoon and spotted this sign posted on an aging door.

 

It is advertising a new Restaurant Anemolithi in the south part of the island. The door has much more character than the new restaurant. I was imagining the time involved in constructing the door and wondering how many years it has survived.


No comments:

Post a Comment