Friday, April 12, 2013

The oldest church in Chora



Kiria Eleousa
Our Lady of Mercy
The oldest church in Chora

This church is perched on top of the castle remains in Chora. 

Strangers to this village would think that they had entered a ghost town if they visited between the hours of 2-5pm. During my two hour drawing session this afternoon, not one human passed by. Several cats wandered into my drawing space, wondering if I had food. A dog barked. Walking through the back alleys I could hear the odd murmur of conversation and smell the aroma of meals.

This island has about 1900 year-round inhabitants spread between several areas. Chora is home to about 400. It is also home to the oldest High School in Greece. Three large, expensive highway buses transport the students from the north, south and centre of the island to and from the High School. This year the students do not have an English teacher. 

One of the English tutors on the island has agreed to be my Greek teacher for the next 4 weeks. I will meet with Melpo twice a week for one hour sessions while she tries to revitalize my lazy aging brain cells. Pronunciation is not a problem but retention is a major obstacle! Maybe by Easter I will be able to converse in simple sentences!...I hope!!

No comments:

Post a Comment