Friday, May 13, 2016

Banking and cooking


Our friend asked me to make a deposit at the Bank for him yesterday morning. There is only one Bank on the island so it is usually very busy. In the past there was a lot of confusion as you tried to figure out who was next to be served. Now, the process has been updated. First, there are two doors for entry. A buzzer allows you into the entry area and after the first door closes (for security reasons) the second door opens to let you inside. On the right there is a ticket machine that gives you a number and tells you how many minutes you will wait. Above the cashier is a digital display that shows the number of the customer being served....all very up to date!!!

So...my ticket said that I would have an 8 minute wait...which turned into 20 minutes. The cashier was very friendly. The first question she asked me was "What is your father's first name?" I thought for a minute, trying to decide which father's name to give her and finally said "William". The next question was "What is your telephone number?" Hmmmh! "I don't have one!" She frowned a little and concentrated before asking "What is your friend's phone number?" Hmmmh! "I don't know!"It isn't easy to remember phone numbers when you don't have a phone and never phone your friends!!
Then she asked "Do you know the first name of your friend's father?" OMG! I could picture him in my mind but couldn't remember his name. Meanwhile I was thinking....come on!...I am giving you money, not asking to take money!!! Finally she said "Okay...sign here" and we were done!

I cooked dinner for our group of twelve last night...Moroccan chickpeas and curried veggies. Dagmar helped by making a huge salad that filled two large bowls.


We managed to navigate around each other while prepping veggies and handling four pots on the stovetop. Michael Anne brought a Greek version of Nanaimo Bars for dessert and Junior supplied the wine! It was another successful group dinner!


The cheerful display that greets us every day outside our door!


No comments:

Post a Comment